The warm dry climate of 2014 has created a complex and powerful wine which exhibits rich melon and citrus flavors complimented by hints of honey and toasted hazelnut. A finely poised acidity adds to a lasting finish.
- The Vineyard – This chardonnay block is located on a steep south facing slope where the vines are dry grown without irrigation. The vines are hand pruned and bud numbers are managed to create a vine balance. Extensive canopy management is carried to control high vigor in wetter seasons and mixtures of chardonnay clones are cultivated on our white clay soils to produce excellent vine vitality and a balanced harvest.
- The 2016 vintage was produced in a very wet summer season of Paroa Bay.
- The Winemaking – The fruit was gently handpicked in small open crates in order to preserve the integrity of the fruit. It was whole bunch pressed and fermented in a mix of seasoned and new French Oak Barrels and left to age on its lees for around 13 months
- Cellaring/Food Match – It will mature really well over the next 4-6 years. Best to have with meat, pasta, bbq and fresh seafood.
- Bottling Date – February, 2017
- Technical details
1. Region: 100% Northland
2. Variety: 100% Chardonnay
3. Alcohol: 12.5%
4. pH: 3.2
5. Harvest Date: March, 2016